Our “Thanksgiving for All” campaign is under way with special events, food drives and fundraisers to help individuals and families in need of food assistance during the holiday season and the cold winter months that follow.
The turkeys and “trimmings” collected will be distributed by Connecticut Food Bank to food-assistance programs in the days before Thanksgiving. The funds will be used to buy more holiday food and for the distribution of the donated food throughout Connecticut. Last weekend’s Stuff-a-Bus food drive sponsored by Unilever at the Silver Sands Stop & Shop in Milford yielded 1,600 pounds of food.
Last year, we distributed enough turkeys and trimmings to provide an estimated 790,000 meals for people in need during the holiday season. This year, every food and fund drive is critical, not only to collect food and funds, but to increase awareness about the ongoing problem of hunger and poverty that many Connecticut residents continue to face. One out of every seven households in Connecticut is struggling to keep food on the table.
You can watch our President & CEO Nancy L. Carrington on News 8 today, talking about the need this Thanksgiving.
“Thanksgiving for All 2011” Food Drive events include:
• 99.1 WPLR “Phil the Bowl” Food Drive. November 16 -18. Donate 10 non-perishables, a frozen turkey or $10 and receive two tickets to the Yale vs. Harvard game on Saturday, November 19, kick off at noon. WPLR is broadcasting live throughout the drive. Wednesday and Thursday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Friday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Big Y, 345 Washington Avenue, North Haven.
• “Star 99.9 Food for Friends. November 17, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. Star 99.9 is collecting non-perishables, frozen turkeys and financial donations to support Connecticut Food Bank!
Stop & Shop, Orange, 259 Bull Hill Lane
Stop & Shop, Shelton, 898 Bridgeport Avenue
Stop & Shop, Westport, 1790 Post Road East
• KC 101 Stuff-a-Bus. November 18 & 19. Collecting frozen turkeys, non-perishables and financial donations. Friday, 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. ShopRite Plaza, 2100 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden
• WATR Big Heart at Big Y. November 18 & 19. Collecting frozen turkeys, non-perishables and financial donations. 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Big Y, 85 Bridge Street, Naugatuck
• “Fill the Bowl” at Yale Bowl. Saturday, November 19. Presented by News 8, 99.1WPLR and Yale Athletics. Support Connecticut Food Bank by donating a frozen turkey or non-perishables and receive 2 tickets to the Yale vs. Harvard game! Collection takes place when gates open until halftime. Kick-off at noon. Yale Bowl, 250 Derby Avenue, New Haven.
• Radio 104.1 Friends of Maze Food Drive. November 20 & 21. Sunday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Monday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Connecticut Food Bank and friends at Radio 104.1 will be collecting non-perishables, frozen turkeys and cash donations. ShopRite, 846 North Colony Road, Wallingford.
• i95 Camping for Cans. Monday, November 21 – 23, 5 to 10 a.m., Stop & Shop, 72 Newtown Rd., Danbury
Connecticut Food Bank Fund Drives include:
• Check Out Hunger. Price Chopper, ShopRite and Balducci’s stores through November 30. Add a $1, $3 or $5 donation tag to your grocery bill and the funds will be donated to Connecticut Food Bank.
• Food for Friends. Stop & Shop stores through December 8. Add a $1, $3 or $5 donation tag to your grocery bill and the funds will be donated to help those in need!
In addition, Connecticut Food Bank warehouses in East Haven, Fairfield and Waterbury will have extended holiday hours to accept food and monetary donations from the public. Visit www.ctfoodbank.org for holiday hours and directions.
Those unable to get to a food drive may donate a turkey or other items at Connecticut Food Bank’s Virtual Food Drive at http://www.ctfoodbank.org.
For event or warehouse information call (203) 469-5000 or visit http://www.ctfoodbank.org.